Easter Ham with Pineapple
• 12 lb. bone-in ham
• 1/2 c. whole cloves
• 20 oz. can pineapple rings in heavy syrup
• 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
• 12 fl. oz. can or bottle lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
• 4 oz. jar chopped maraschino cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
2. Place ham in a roasting pan. Score the rind of the ham with a diamond pattern. Press a clove into the center of each diamond. Drain the juice from the pineapple rings into a medium bowl, and stir in the brown sugar and lemon-lime soda. Coat the ham with this mixture. Arrange the pineapple rings over the outside of the ham. Place a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple ring, and secure with a toothpick.
3. Bake uncovered for 4 to 5 hours, basting frequently with the juices, until the internal temperature of the ham is 160 degrees F (72 degrees C). Be sure the meat thermometer is not touching the bone. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Tip: Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.