A delicious and savory Valentine’s Day meal!
Total Time: 8:20 Prep: 20 Yield: 8 servings
- 2 c. beef stock
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, halved if large
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 3 lb. pot roast, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- 1 c. dry red wine
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for serving
Whisk together stock, flour, and mustard in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add carrots, mushrooms, onion, celery, garlic, and thyme; stir to combine.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to slow cooker. Add tomato paste to skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and cook, scraping up browned bits, 30 seconds; add to slow cooker.
Discard thyme. Remove beef and shred with 2 forks; return to cooker. Stir in butter.
Cover and cook until beef is tender, on low heat 7 to 8 hours or high for 5 to 6 hours.
Serve topped with parsley.
PER SERVING: protein: 39 g; fat: 27 g; carbohydrate: 14 g; fiber: 3 g; sodium: 262 mg; cholesterol: 144 mg; calories: 477.