• 1 cup quinoa
• 2 cups water
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1/2 onion, chopped
• 1 red pepper, diced
• 1 (8-oz.) package tempeh, diced into bite-size pieces
• 1 cup salsa
• Juice from one lime
• 1 tsp. cumin
• 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. pepper
• 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 cup fresh corn
• 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
• 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 avocado, diced
1. Place the quinoa and water in a covered pot on high heat. Once it starts to boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the tempeh. Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, and add the chopped onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the diced red pepper, tempeh, salsa, lime juice, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper.
4. Cook the tempeh mixture, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
5. Once the quinoa and tempeh are cooked, pour both into a glass bowl and mix together. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, and a little salt and pepper, and mix well. Serve and top with a few pieces of diced avocado.
6. Enjoy as is, or use as a delicious filling for burritos.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings. Cook Time: 45 mins.