Alisa Murray’s Top Ten Best of Texas Vacation Spots
As the fall months are upon us, it is time to start planning vacations for the upcoming holidays and last-minute summer celebrations. Texas has so many opportunities for fun, from beaches and camping, to urban adventures. Here’s my top 10 best vacation spots in our Lone Star State!
1. Austin – For the music lover it’s hands down and a toe tappin’ Austin City Limits where you’ll never be bored with the tunes coming from our capital city so aptly named “Live Music Capital of the World.” There’s plenty of good eats and great concerts not to mention the shopping on South Congress Avenue and the bar crawling along 6th street.
2. San Antonio – For history buffs it’s got to be the Alamo and a ride down the river on the Riverwalk Boats. If the kiddos are still looking to ride more rides they’ll find plenty at the Six Flags Fiesta Texas Park. You’ll find your perfect tacos and margaritas as you stroll through the many shops by the river too. Hotel Emma located in the Pear Brewery area is one of my favorites!
3. Amarillo – If hiking and reminiscing about an old famous road are you’re thing you’ll love exploring here. Don’t forget to stop by and take in the old relics of Route 66 and spend an afternoon at the Cadillac Ranch.
4. South Padre Island – For beach lovers and seafood foodies this spot has it all. You can wind down an afternoon of sunbathing and jet skiing with a cold pint and a plate full of fresh oysters seaside. Stay at the Port Isabel Lighthouse State Historical Park, and get that last waterslide in at the Schlitterbahn waterpark.
5. Galveston – Galveston is another fantastic beach lovers choice and you’ll find many lovely shops along the Historic Strand District. There’s also Moody Gardens and rides for all ages at the Pleasure Pier.
6. Big Bend National Park – For those that like to camp and enjoy the outdoors fully. This is a lot more quiet but a real treat with all the wildlife to watch. You’ll want to make sure to hike the South Rim, stop by Santa Elena Canyon and bring your camera!
7. Fredericksburg – For those that love antiques and wines this is your place! Downtown you’ll find a shopper’s paradise. A great camping spot is Enchanted Rock State Natural Area which has the perfect balance of opportunities for hikers and climbers of all levels.
8. Garner State Park – For the Texan that likes to boot scoot and ride along the river. You’ll find a cabin is the perfect accommodations for you and your family and after a day in the sunshine you can dance the night away at one of the park’s nightly gathering.
9. Corpus Christi – For both the sunbather and the historically charmed, this city has the best of both. You’ll enjoy white sandy beaches with plenty of great restaurants and a visit to USS Lexington for a lesson back in time at the Navy aircraft carrier used in World War II.
10. New Braunfels – Of course, no list of Texas best spots could be written without a mention of a tube ride down our Guadalupe and Comal Rivers! Best yet this city has some of the best antiquing spots, live music and my absolute favorite garlic salsa and chicken tortilla soup in the entire state in Green Hall! You’ll want to pack a cooler so you can take back to Houston several jars to enjoy.
Happy wandering ya’ll!
Alisa Murray Travel Design is a full-service Travel agency. We specialize in “cultivating amazing experiences that last a lifetime!” Call 713-598-2207 or visit alisamurray.com.