• 8 ounces extra-firm tofu
• 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
• 1/4 red onion (thinly sliced)
• 1/2 red pepper (thinly sliced)
• 2 cups kale (loosely chopped)
• 1/2 tsp sea salt (reduce amount for less salty sauce)
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1/4 tsp chili powder
• Water (to thin)
• 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
For Serving (optional)
• Hot Sauce
• Breakfast potatoes, toast, and/or fruit
1) Pat tofu dry and roll in a clean, absorbent towel with something heavy on top, such as a cast-iron skillet, for 15 minutes.
2) While tofu is draining, prepare sauce by adding dry spices to a small bowl and adding enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside.
3) Prep veggies and warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and the onion and red pepper. Season with a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
4) Add kale, season with a bit more salt and pepper, and cover to steam for 2 minutes.
5) In the meantime, unwrap tofu and use a fork to crumble into bite-sized pieces.
6) Use a spatula to move the veggies to one side of the pan and add tofu. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add sauce, pouring it mostly over the tofu and a little over the veggies. Stir immediately, evenly distributing the sauce. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
7) Serve immediately with the breakfast potatoes, toast, or fruit. Enjoy!