Nearly 2 million cosmetic surgical procedures were performed in the United States last year. Breast augmentation, liposuction and tummy tucks were among the most popular, along with facelifts, nose and eyelid surgeries and other procedures involving the face.
Male or female, young or older, we all want to put our best face forward, and if you opt for a facelift or another cosmetic surgery, more power to you. But surgery isn’t your only option. A number of nonsurgical procedures are now available that are remarkably effective for improving the appearance and health of your face and skin. Relatively inexpensive and requiring no prolonged recovery time, these treatments can truly make a difference in how you look and feel.
Phototherapy: The Healing Power of Light
Light has multiple applications as a medical therapy. Full-spectrum light is the preferred treatment for seasonal affective disorder (winter blues) and some other types of depression. Infrared light, applied directly over sore joints and soft tissues, improves circulation and helps relieve pain and stiffness. The focused light beams of lasers are used in several branches of medicine.
Phototherapy, as light-based treatments are called, is especially beneficial for skin problems. Harnessing the healing power of precise wavelengths of light is an excellent therapy not only for conditions like vitiligo and psoriasis but also for improving overall skin health and appearance.
Red light, for example, reduces inflammation and stimulates the production of collagen, the connective tissue that serves as the scaffolding or structural support of your skin. Blue light reduces oil production and kills bacteria that causes acne. Short pulses of high-intensity light stimulate skin turnover, healing and rejuvenation. And fractional laser, the most advanced type of phototherapy, penetrates into deeper skin layers for optimal results.
What Phototherapy Can Do for You
- Aging skin: Age obviously takes a toll on the skin, as many of us are reminded every time we look in a mirror. Most of these age-related changes are due to a decline in collagen. Efficient collagen production keeps younger skin smooth, plump and taut. Unfortunately, free radical damage and inflammation caused by years of living and exacerbated by UV radiation, pollution, etc., result in sagging, wrinkled, rougher skin.
- Phototherapy is a great treatment for aging skin because it stimulates fibroblasts, cells in the dermis (the thick inner layer of skin) that trigger the production of collagen. The all-star treatment for revitalizing aging skin is laser therapy, which penetrates more deeply into the dermis and rapidly revs up collagen production, leaving the skin smoother and firmer with fewer fine lines and wrinkles. And since these therapies promote ongoing collagen renewal, improvements can last for years.
- Discoloration: If you are concerned about age spots, redness, small blood vessels or sun damage, phototherapy can help. Intense pulses of specific wavelengths of light applied to areas of discoloration are absorbed by pigment cells, which are dispatched without harming other cells. Phototherapy can be used to even out skin tone not only on your face but also on your hands, décolletage and elsewhere. For more extensive discoloration such as melasma or hyperpigmentation, laser treatment may be indicated.
- Acne: The bane of teenagers as well as a surprising number of adults, acne responds well to phototherapy. Red light reduces inflammation and scarring while blue light suppresses the production of excessive sebum (oil) and kills Cutibacterium acnes, the bacteria that is a common cause of acne. The combination of the two wavelengths of light helps clear up outbreaks in record time.
- Scarring: Scars are a normal part of your skin’s healing process, and although they fade over time, tell-tale signs often remain. Although It may not be possible to completely eliminate scars, phototherapy does a great job of minimizing their appearance and helping them blend in with surrounding skin.
- Maintenance: Did you know collagen production begins to decline around age 25? That is why more and more people—men as well as women—in their 30s and 40s are seeking out skincare solutions. Recommended treatment regimens are less intensive and frequent for younger people, but early intervention will keep your skin healthier and help you weather the worst of the inevitable changes that come with aging. An ounce of prevention, as the saying goes, is worth a pound of cure, and this is certainly true of skin health.
State-of-the-Art Phototherapy at Hotze Aesthetics
A number of phototherapy and skin lasers are available, but Hotze Aesthetics uses only the most advanced and effective equipment. All these modalities have been shown in scientific studies to be safe and well-tolerated, provide superior results and require less downtime than more aggressive treatments.
- Forever Young BBL and BBL Photofacial: Sciton’s broadband light (BBL) treatments not only enhance skin appearance but also positively modify gene expression for long-lasting results.
- HALO Hybrid Fractional Laser: This breakthrough laser penetrates deeply into the dermis to address decades of damage and improve fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone, enlarged pores, scarring and more.
- Red/Blue Light Therapy: The ability of these wavelengths of light to kill bacteria, reduce inflammation and curb excessive oil production facilitates healing of current blemishes and reduces future breakouts.
- Additional Phototherapy Treatments: SkinTyte, which uses infrared energy to firm the skin, and SkinPen, which targets wrinkles and scars, can be utilized alone or as add-on treatments.
Hotze Aesthetics also offers Botox, Juvederm fillers and a complete line of top-shelf skincare products. Because your comfort and safety are paramount, all services are performed by licensed and certified aestheticians in our full-service health care center staffed by our team of physicians and other professionals.
Let us pamper you and help you look and feel younger and better than you have in years.
Hotze Aesthetics is part of Hotze Health & Wellness Center in Katy, which is widely recognized as one of the country’s leading integrative health care centers. Contact Hotze Aesthetics today at 281-698-8770 to learn more and to schedule your Visia Complexion Analysis, a top-of-the-line facial imaging system that will give you a complete 3D visual of your skin. Your $50 consultation fee will be credited to any single service treatment over $100.